Saturday, December 03, 2005

Barbara Vance from the SETI institute emailed me her comments to my site. I had some other professional comments that I will post here in a nother of my shameless self promotional posts:

Hi Lon,

Sorry to take so long to get back to you. It's been rather busy! I checked out your blog, and it looks great! I can't pretend that I'm any expert, but I like your styling and your content very much. Thanks for including us in your list of podcasts. We wouldn't mind if you added either the radio show or the SETI Institute home pages to your list of links ;)

http://www.seti.org
http://www.seti.org/radio

We are in the process of making some changes to the show - for the better, we think. We'll be leaving commercial live radio and moving to another outlet. The shows will be slightly longer without the need for as many commercial breaks, and the production quality should also be improving. We've created a sound studio here at the Institute for conducting the show. Not being locked into being live on Sunday nights will also assist in scheduling scientists and other science-related guests. As part of a NASA grant to support the show, we'll also be doing frequent pieces on what's happening with the NAI (NASA Astrobiology Institute) projects dealing with all the aspects of life in space.

And don't worry - we'll still be posting the shows on our website as well as podcasting them, so you won't miss an episode!

Thank you again for your kind words about the show, and keep up the bloggin' work!

5 comments:

Jay Noel said...

Lon,

Seriously...what's a pod cast??? I kind know about them, but not really. I'd like to learn more about podcasts and such, as I'm being left in the dust with this stuff.

ObilonKenobi said...

What's a Podcast? Think of it like an audio blog!! If you have an MP3 player on your computer you can subscribe to a regularly updated audio show that is delivered to you computer via any subscriber program in MP3 format. Think of it as talk radio on your computer. As of now no one charges for this service. My preferred method to listed to podcast is this: I subscribe to my favorite podcasts via iTunes, they are automatically updated whenever the producers of my favorite podcast puts out a new show. Then everyday I attach my iPod to my Mac and iTunes automatically downloads the shows to my iPod. I listen to them in the car, at work, anywhere. For more info on Podcasting I suggest you start here with these sites:

http://www.thepodcastnetwork.com/tpn/2005/04/16/podcasting-faq-or-podcasting-for-dummies

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Podcast

http://www.ipodder.org/

http://www.podcastalley.com/

http://www.apple.com/itunes/podcasts/

Jay Noel said...

Thanks for the info. I don't have an ipod, but I'm still able to listen to the cast via Microsoft Media Player, right?

Melly said...

Cool :)

I think I missed a post about you emailing people around, the reason and all, if you want to direct me...

ObilonKenobi said...

Phoenix: You can listen to the podcasts on your Microsoft Media Player or iTunes for PC. The downside is that you have to be sitting at your computer to hear them. A portable MP3 player like an iPod (which is compatable with PC BTW) lets you take your music and your podcasts with you.

Melly - Some of the podcasters that read my post called Housekeeping replied with comments to me by email so I posted that one. I will be posting more but I especially like the SETi podcast so I started with that one.